Call Us Today: 0800 612 0963

Available 24/7 to serve you Nationwide

Frequently Asked Questions

The team is experienced in dealing with all types of property matters, both commercial and domestic. Here are several of the most frequently asked questions. Please contact us if you can’t find what you are looking for.

Party Wall Agreements

What is a Party Wall Notice?

A Party Wall notice is a document which informs a neighbour of impending works which are notifiable under the Party Wall etc. Act 1996. It normally contains plans, describes the works taking place and comes with an acknowledgement form, which should state your choices as a neighbour under the Act: namely to consent or dissent.

I have served Party Wall Notice, when can I start work?

This will depend on whether the adjoining owners have consented or dissented to the works. If there is consent, there is normally a phrase within the notice stating that the building owner can start straight away. If there is dissent, then the building owner should wait for an award to be served and for the notice period to expire, which is 1 month for section 1 and 6 works and 2 months for section 2 works. If an award is served earlier than the notice period, the building owner can only start works before the expiry of the notice period with written consent from the neighbour to do so.

Do I need a Party Wall Agreement for an extension?

This will depend on the location of the extension – if it is within 3 meters of a neighbour or up to the boundary line then you will have to serve notice, provided you will be excavating at a lower depth than their foundations. Additionally, if you are doing any work to the party wall such as removing chimney breasts or inserting beams, you will also have to serve notice. If you require advice contact us for a free consultation about the best way forward.

How should I reply to a Party Wall Notice?

You essentially have two options when replying to a party wall notice: consent or dissent. If you choose the former, then your neighbour proceeds with the works and no surveyors are appointed under the Act. However, if it is the latter, then you can appoint your own surveyor or both neighbours jointly appoint an agreed surveyor (who acts on behalf of both parties) for an award to be drafted and served. All surveyors in the party wall process are required to be impartial with the role of resolving disputes. This is because their appointment is statutory. In terms of consent and dissent, this is completely up to you. You will have to weigh up how much you trust your neighbours and whether you require the extra protection of an award.

Do I need to send Party Wall Notices to my neighbours?

Generally, you will need to send party wall notices if you are carrying out a rear extension, creating a loft extension with a dormer or removing chimney breasts. Notifiable works are set out in the Party wall etc. Act 1996 and the most common are:
  • Excavating within 3 meters of your neighbour, where the excavations are deeper than the foundation of your neighbour
  • Inserting beams, removing chimney breasts and other work to a party wall
  • Building new walls up to or astride the boundary of the property

What is a Party Wall Award?

An award is the final document that sets out certain terms which will have to be abided by in order to limit any disruption or damage to a neighbour’s property. It will serve as protection for both owners, as it will direct how the notifiable works are to be conducted and what remedies are available if any future problems occur. The surveyors may also assist during and after the work has been carried out. The award will also contain many other documents usually listed in a document register, such as plans, method statements, engineers’ calculations and any other reports which are deemed necessary to resolve a dispute. These are only needed if there is no consent to the works.

What is the difference between a Party Wall, a Party Structure and a Party Fence Wall?

Party fence wall: a wall which is located on the boundary line between properties that separates the boundaries between properties. It does not include a wall that is part of a building. Party structure: a party wall or partition that separates different properties such as ceilings in-between flats. Party wall: a wall that separates buildings belonging to different owners.

What is a Schedule of Condition?

One of the services that we offer is a schedule of condition. This will note down the condition of the property such as the size and location of cracks. We carry out a schedule of condition for party wall work to show the state of the property before work. We can then compare this to the new condition of building elements after the work has been carried out to see if any damage has occurred and if it is attributable to the relevant works. Additionally, we carry out a schedule of condition when a property is to be leased out. This will indicate the condition of the property when a lease starts so it can be left in a similar condition once the lease is complete.

My neighbour has started work without a Party Wall Agreement, what can I do?

The first course of action is to send them a notice to comply with the Act, which we can send to them for free. If they do not comply with The Party Wall etc Act 1996, the manner in which they are conducting the work may be illegal. The next possible action is to try to obtain an injunction for them to stop works under court order. We do not often recommend this, as it can be very costly. These costs are not always recovered from the building owner. If they do not comply with the Party Wall Act and damage were to occur, a court would not look kindly on them.

Who pays for a Party Wall Survey?

Virtually in every case, the person carrying out the works pays for the party wall surveyor(s) and any other associated costs; however, within the Act, costs are generally paid by whichever party is benefiting from the work. In 99% of works this is the party carrying out the works; however, in certain circumstances, such as when an adjoining owner requests additional works, costs can be shared. It should be noted that the costs of safeguarding (such as underpinning) are wholly born by the party carrying out the work.

Building Surveys

How quickly can we write-up the report?

Surveyors on our panel aim for a 2-3 day turnaround from the date of the site visit, but if a highlighted issue is found, further investigations from a senior surveyor and/or engineer may be necessary so it could take longer.

What is a Full Structural Survey?

A Full Structural Building Survey is the most comprehensive type of survey, and the highest (Level 3) on the RICS scale. It is ideal for older properties or properties which may have issues. A Full Building Survey is also advised if you are planning major works to the property. It includes all the fundamental elements of the other RICS building survey reports but offers a more in-depth analysis and provides advice on defects, repairs and maintenance. This type of survey does not typically include a valuation, but we recommend that this is carried out separately for greater accuracy in any case.

Can I ask you to pay special attention to a particular issue that I’ve noticed?

Your surveyor will be more than happy to give any issues you may have concerns about the extra attention it needs. They can then advise in the report if they believe this to be a significant defect and whether any remedial works are required.

The report highlights dampness. What are my next steps?

The surveys are non-invasive. So, given that the walls will not be opened up, the surveyor may not be able to confirm the extent of a particular defect. This may occur in particular with floor damp as fitted floor coverings would prevent the surveyor from being able to inspect the area further. On these occasions, we may refer to further inspections you may need to undertake to fully confirm the extent of the damage and the cost of repair.

I have already had a Mortgage Valuation. Is there any point of having a further survey done?

You would not buy a car without inspecting it physically and checking the service history. This is similar for properties; the difference being is that this is potentially the biggest investment of a lifetime. It would be of immeasurable benefit to know what issues may occur in the short and long term and have a plan in place to cover the costs for these. A valuation focuses on the price of the property, whereas the building survey focuses on its condition. Realizing you have moved into a property wrought with problems can be a nightmare, so don’t let it happen.

Does anyone else receive a copy of my report?

The report is sent out to the client only. The client can then decide to send the report or its findings to their solicitor. If serious previously unknown issues are uncovered, we find clients may, at times, use this information to ask the sellers to reduce the price accordingly. This would, of course, be dependent on the nature of the issue and this is done through your legal adviser.

What is the purpose of having a Full (Structural) Building Survey carried out?

A property may appear in good condition and it can be tempting to assume there are no major problems with it, but there may be costly discoveries upon moving in.  A Full (Structural) Building Survey is carried out to establish that the house is structurally sound and to advise you of current and potential defects; and whether they are expensive, serious, common or to be expected with this type of property.

What is a Homebuyer’s Report?

A Homebuyer’s Report is a Level 2 survey on the RICS scale and it advises on defects which may affect the property and its value. The Homebuyer’s report follows a traffic light system where issues that need immediate attention are highlighted in red, whilst problem-free areas will be green. The format of the report however, is fixed, and as such does not allow for additional items such as photos to be included in the report. It is not as in-depth as a Full (Structural) Building Survey.

What is the difference between a Full Structural Survey and a RICS Home Buyer’s Report?

The site visit itself is very similar for each report; but the report itself is very different. RICS Homebuyer’s Reports tend to be cheaper and have a pre-formatted form, which doesn’t allow you to add further information in or photographs. The Full Building Survey is a much more detailed and in-depth and usually requires more investigation. The latter will also provide advice on structural defects and maintenance options for each of the issues uncovered throughout the visit. For these reasons, RICS ranks the quality standard of a Full Building Survey higher (level 3) than a Homebuyer’s report (level 2).

The report mentions that there may be asbestos materials present. What should I do?

Asbestos materials were used for many years in buildings and theoretically could be present anywhere, although in the recent decades they have been phased out. In many cases, such as in the pre-80s Artex ceilings, these do not present a high risk unless tampered with. The report, however, will advise as to whether the asbestos found within your property is deemed unsafe and if so will need to be removed by a licensed Asbestos contractor. Please note that if the surveyor has mentioned Asbestos in your report it may very well be that there are more unseen materials comprising Asbestos within the property.

How long does the Full Structural Survey take?

The visit to the property itself could easily take several (3-4) hours, as the surveyors on our panel take their time with the inspection in order to ensure they capture as much as possible. Sometimes, survey times can take a lot longer and it really depends on the amount and types of issues that are uncovered throughout the visit, as well as the size of the property. All areas that are accessible will be inspected and if they suspect any issues, be they inside or outside, they will recommend further investigation. Once the site visit has been conducted, they will begin writing up your report immediately and this usually takes a few days.

Property Valuations

Why do I need a property valuation?

A property valuation is essential if you are looking to purchase a new home or any property for that matter. A property valuation consists of multiple conditional and quality checks that determine the value of your home. Knowing your property’s worth will come in handy if you want to secure the best market price and hold your own when it comes to the negotiation stages of the transaction.

I am considering moving house. Should I arrange a property valuation?

If you are planning to move house in the near future, then yes, it’s a great idea to consider booking a home evaluation or property valuation. This will give you a realistic idea of how much your home will sell for in current market conditions. It can also reveal certain home improvement opportunities you could make to increase the value of your home.

Project Management

Why should I use a project manager? Is it worth it?

Having someone with the experience to see a project through from start to finish is invaluable. There are lots of industry standards, regulatory costs and unknowns when building structures intertwined with habitable spaces. At Prince Surveyors, we specialise in helping our customers navigate through the everchanging building industry whether you are soundproofing a wall, upgrading a chimney, building an extension or even a new home on an empty plot of land. We believe it’s common sense to hire a project manager due to the size of the financial investment you will be making, hiring a project manager will massively reduce your risk of losing money.

Block Management

Can I have my own dedicated Block Manager?

Yes, you can have a dedicated block manager from our panel of block managers whom you can contact at any point via email or phone. They will be dedicated to ensuring every aspect of your block is running smoothly and that it is a pleasure to live in.

What is a Block Manager? What do they do?

A Block Manager is in charge of ensuring a block of flats is in good condition. The majority of their work involves the upkeep and maintenance of a block to make sure it reaches various health and safety regulations.

Property Investment & Land Development

Can you help me raise capital?

Yes, by connecting you with Hallcroft Structured Property Finance, who are experts at brokering strategic deals to raise money to buy land. They can act as your broker. Learn more here.

I have an idea for a new development, so what should I do?

If you own or want to own an area of land for the sake of building something that will lead to a return on investment for investors and other stakeholders, then the team can help you turn your idea into a reality. The reason you should consider explaining your plans to the team is that they have a huge array of skills, knowledge, experience and professional standards that can be utilised like a “Swiss army” knife of property expertise. This means delays, mistakes and legislative issues can be avoided. It also unveils opportunities to make more profit. For example, your plans could be to build 4 flats on an area of land. However, by engaging the team, they may find the opportunity for you to build 5 and increase your total return.

Snagging Reports

What is a snagging report?

A snagging report is a detailed walkthrough of defects identified during a visual inspection of a new home, garden or outbuilding. These reports contain images and text of each “snag” identified.

What is included in a snagging report?

A snagging report can contain (but is not limited to) any of the below:
  • brickwork, fencing, driveways and gardens
  • doors, windows and other ironmongery
  • kitchen units, tiling and flooring
  • bathroom suite and tiling
  • all internal spaces, even the loft
  • damage caused during assembly and construction
  • workmanship, finishes and joinery
  • operational checks such as lighting, hobs and sinks
  • boiler area checks
  • fire and smoke alarms
  • plumbing-related observations

Services & Reputation

I have a question which has not been covered

If you would like to ask any further questions about your Building Surveys, Party Wall Disputes or anything relating to our services, please contact us either via our contact page or via email at and we shall aim to get back to you as quickly as possible.

Where are your surveyors based?

We have a panel of surveyors who operate throughout the country, ensuring that the surveyor you receive is local to you, all of whom specialise in building surveys, projects, party walls, valuations, etc.

What if I am unhappy with the service?

If you would like to ask any further questions about your Building Surveys, Party Wall Disputes or anything relating to the services, please contact us either via our contact page or via email at and we shall aim to get back to you as quickly as possible.

Where can I read your reviews?

Feel free to check Trustpilot, as well as the testimonials on our homepage.

About Prince Surveyors

Are you regulated?

We have become a network-based “Portal” (or team-supported “Introducer”) and therefore do not require or qualify for regulation by RICS, who can only regulate companies which carry out the surveying services themselves (in-house). The surveyors on our panel, however, are regulated by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS), the Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB), the Residential Property Surveyors Association (RPSA) and/or other professional regulatory bodies such as the Chartered Institute of Architectural Technologists (CIAT), Society of Operations Engineers (SOE), The Faculty Of Party Wall Surveyors (FPWS) and/or Chartered Association of Building Engineers (CABE). A Chartered Building Consultancy also has extensive first-hand experience on-site.

Are your surveyors covered by insurance?

All surveyors on our panel are required by their insurers to meet the minimum requirements of industry qualifications/experience in order to have their own professional indemnity (PI) cover. We offer them access to the relevant training and guidance for continuous professional development (CPD) in order to provide you with expertise.

Have Another Question?

Contact us today so we can help you get the answer you need.